Vancouver to Viimsi

South-East corner shot of my Outsider Inside show!
 Been an exciting couple of months leading up to my exhibition in Viimsi, Estonia. Managed to safely transport 16 collages from the Outsider Inside series from Vancouver to Reykjavik to Helsinki to Tallinn and then to a nearby coastal suburb, Viimsi at the Museum of Coastal Folk (Rannarahva Muuseum).
Now enjoying some days of solitude in my favorite Estonian city, Tartu.
Thought I would use this opportunity to finally post some pictures of the opening in Viimsi last week as well as the backyard Studio Sale my dad, Ewan and I hosted before I left.
Aja and her new collage San Pe!

View of my 1/2 of the sale in our backyard!

How could I not post a picture of this tiny creature! This art-loving rescue dog weighs under 2lbs.

Vancouver Treasure Maps (issue no. 2)

Loving the late afternoon light on this miniature sculpture!

Installing art without frames - what a concept! The walls of this particular gallery room were taken from an old fishing net-drying shack. A cozy alternative to the usual white cube. Will have to just hope little greasy Estonian fingers can keep off the exposed work for a few months...
Rannarahva staff Anneliis and Kadi (curator) were instrumental to the success of this show in Viimsi. They not only helped install the show, translate, promote etc., they also took the time to make homemade snacks for the opening!


Anneliis and her mother made a delicious chocolate berry cake and Kadi helped construct these little Estonian open-faced sandwiches (spiced sardines on buttered black bread with hardboiled egg, dill and arugula on top).

I'm always overjoyed with the attendance of friends, family and new acquaintances at my openings, but this particular opening in Viimsi brought together not only my Estonian relatives but my Scottish ones as well. I was so touched to see these two sides of my family meet. Friends from Toronto, Piret Noorhani (who was responsible for the success of my Toronto exhibition Outsider Inside) attended and then the next morning took part in a 15 minute interview on ERR (National Estonian Radio) discussing the exhibition, my story and Estonian identity in Canada. Very cool. Will post the archived episode soon!
Rannarahva Muuseum minutes after a hailstorm and minutes before my opening! (The cute blue bus transports visitors from this museum building to their open-air museum down the road.)

Some guests starting to arrive!

My lovely friends Kadri and Martin checking out some of my prints and cards for sale.

Ruti Karalaid, Raili Ratas (my Viirlaid relatives) meet Pam & Brian Davidson (my McNeil relatives). Never thought this would happen! Gotta love art openings.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ah, the backyard party (+ sale!). The museum looks like an interesting building all on its own!

Popular Posts