Outsider Inside - A great first week

Installing & opening my first Toronto exhibition at VEMU/ Estonian Studies Centre last week went so well... huge thanks to Piret Noorhani, Kristen Dobbin, Kadi, Taavi, Lea and all those involved with making this whole experience happen. And thank you to the Tammemägi family for always hosting me and of course to my family in Toronto and Vancouver for always supporting me.

Thank you Taavi for the photography! This is me talking about Fred Herzog as a huge influence...



Despite the flood the night before, we managed to get everything framed and hung within 24 hours.
Lea Kreinin and I discussed our mutual passion for Scotland and about the Estonian diaspora in Canada. She also somehow managed to find time to write this article about me in Eesti Elu! (see below).

New lights were installed, Canada's finest kringel from Hillside Bakery was ordered... I was in heaven.



Eesti Elu article written by PhD candidate Lea Kreinin

Onu Ants was the first to sign the guest book!
Many old friends, and new yet familiar faces visited on opening night. Andres Raudsepp (musician and story-teller), friends of my grandparents, and old fellow summer campers of my mom visited...
It was my old friends that kept me from losing my cool at the podium though. The Tammemägi family, Hannah, my oldest friend from Vancouver traveled 6 hours from Montreal to see me and the show... My artist friends Prashant, Curtis, Patricia and her sister Karen came and showed their support, which was very cool, even though they probably were a little creeped out by these Estonian fanatics shoving kringel into their faces. So many kind and curious folk came out. It makes me realize how much I'd love to live in Toronto and bug Piret more! You haven't seen the last of me Toronto Eestlased!
Thanks Taavi for the photo!


For Toronto-based collage lovers, come see my show:
Hours: Tues & Thursday 10am-3pm or by appointment
email Piret Noorhani (more info here)
And to see some more pics of the opening night:

Comments

Popular Posts