Usually this isn't a rant space but...

This is the lamest thing I've heard all week. This morning while listening to CBC radio, I caught a frightening little story at the end of the segment notifying the public that Capilano University, due to substantial debt, is most likely going to cut it's textile and studio arts programs.
Without my (then) college level fine art program at Langara (which is similar to the fabulous university level program at Cap), I wouldn't be where I am today. Please share if you care about me, my fellow colleagues and instructors and all others brave enough to try and do what they love.
This was posted in the petition website by one of one of Capilano's IDEA students:

"Capilano has built itself an identity among my peers as a school that enables young peoples interested in the arts to pursue their passion while receiving a credible, and respected education in their desired area of study within the arts. It is sad to see such well respected programs be cut. It will greatly effect the positioning of the campus and will stop attracting forward thinking young adults or change makers that seem to have become the schools main student body. Being a student myself, I will tell you right now that by taking these programs away you are shaking the very foundation of why I decided to come to Capilano in the first place."

Joshua R. Seinen
Student, IDEA Program


Here's a Vancouver Sun article to explain the prepredicament further:

http://www.vancouversun.com/Capilano+University+president+warns+cuts/6480815/story.html#ixzz2RY6pULC5

Comments

Popular Posts