Another quote from Bob...



I'm doing a comparative essay on a couple pieces by Berlin Dadaist Hannah Hoch and the abstract-expressionist-pop-artist Robert Rauschenberg. I just came across a quote in a book that I'm reading about Rauschenberg, and my, there are some wonderful things recorded... But one I just read was this...
[in response to his crazy success of the Combine series in the mid 60s and the possibility of one sinking too far into the world of fame and fortune during this time...]
"It's as though I've slipped into the wrong skin, which is a little bit scary. I mean, if your work is more or less all you're doing, you could get to feel sort of isolated", he says. "I'm starting to get this sense of, well, how difficult is it going to be to stay in touch? And I can't afford to lose touch with myself. Because that's really all I've got."

That's all we got. Well said. Even in the small little world of ECUAD, we, the students tend to forget that. Staying true to one's self and what originally makes us want to make art in the first place is hard to remember to do sometimes.

Comments

Popular Posts